With single tickets on sale as of Monday for the 2015-2016 St. Louis Symphony season, it’s a good time to unveil the musicians’ Top Five Hot Picks. You’ll see more about the Top Five and the musicians picks through various marketing initiatives over the days and weeks to come, but let’s get the party started. More than 50 musicians responded this summer to my call for hot picks, which is not only a record, but it reflects the good vibes they have for the upcoming season.
1) Mahler 5. January 22-23. David Robertson conductor; Timothy McAllister, saxophone. JOHN ADAMS Saxophone Concerto & MAHLER Symphony No. 5.
2) Mahler 4. April 2-3. David Robertson, conductor; Susanna Phillips, soprano. RAVEL Mother Goose Suite, VIVIER Lonely Child & MAHLER Symphony No. 4.
3) All-Strauss. September 25-26. David Robertson, conductor; Karita Mattila, soprano; Daniel Lee, cello; Beth Guterman Chu, viola. RICHARD STRAUSS Don Quixote, Macbeth & Final Scene from Capriccio.
4) Beethoven 6. November 13-15. David Robertson, conductor; Christine Goerke, soprano. BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 6, “Pastoral,” WEBERN Six Pieces for Orchestra, op. 6, & RICHARD STRAUSS Four Last Songs.
5) Beethoven 9. October 9-11. Markus Stenz, conductor; Heidi Melton, soprano; Thomas Cooley, tenor; Eric Owens, bass-baritone; St. Louis Symphony Chorus; Amy Kaiser, director. WAGNER Selections from Parsifal & BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 9.
Get ’em while they’re hot!