General_About_Us_1500x400.jpg

Tour Beautiful Powell Hall


The St. Louis Symphony Orchestra Volunteer Association provides tours of Powell Hall to interested groups. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, tours of Powell Hall are suspended until further notice.

Erected in 1925 as the St. Louis Theatre, the building now known as Powell Symphony Hall was acquired by the St. Louis Symphony Society in 1966 through a $500,000 gift from Oscar Johnson, Jr., a longtime leader and benefactor of the Orchestra. Since its opening in November 1925, the St. Louis Theatre had presented the best in live vaudeville as well as motion pictures. Appropriately enough, The Sound of Music was the last movie shown in the old theater. 

 
Virtual Tour   Powell Hall History